Today’s top pick arrives just in time for the holiday season. Debt-Proof Your Christmas by Mary Hunt explains how to celebrate the season without breaking the bank. This book is jam-packed with craft ideas and recipes along with sage personal-finance advice.

maryhMary is a bestselling author, syndicated columnist, and sought-after motivational speaker. She is founder and publisher of the website “Debt-Proof Living” (formerly known as “Cheapskate Monthly”). She’s appeared on countless TV shows such as Good Morning America, Oprah, Dr. Phil, Fox and Friends, and Focus on the Family.

Mary is also the author of 7 Money Rules for Life and 22 other books that have sold over a million copies. She lives with her husband in California.

As usual, each book listed here has gone FREE within the past 24 hours, except for the Bargain books in the yellow section below. Warning: Kindle book promotions can end without notice, so before downloading click the link “See Kindle price at Amazon” to verify that the book is still free. (Prices and availability may differ outside USA.)

Debt-Proof Your Christmas

Personal Finance > Money Management
Author: Mary Hunt
Debt-Proof Your Christmas: Celebrating the Holidays without Breaking the Bank

Christmas may be the most wonderful time of the year, but it’s also one of the most stressful–and most expensive. Expectations run high and it’s tempting to whip out the credit cards to create the perfect Christmas for your family, with lavish meals, new decorations, and the latest, greatest gadgets and fashions for everyone on your Christmas gift list. But you don’t have to overspend or go into debt to have a fabulous holiday.

Financial expert Mary Hunt shows you how to assess your financial situation, commit to no new debt, and think creatively about your gift list. With Mary’s guidance, you’ll identify what has caused you to overspend in the past and approach this Christmas with a plan and a new attitude toward holiday spending. This just might be the best gift you can give yourself and your family.

space

Asking for Trouble

Children’s eBooks > Religious Fiction
Author: Sandra Byrd
Asking for Trouble: 1 (London Confidential)

When her family moves to London, 15-year-old Savvy Smith has to make her way in a new school and a new country. She just knows the school newspaper is the right place for her, but she doesn’t have the required experience, and the cute editor-in-chief is not looking to train anyone. She has to come up with a way to prove herself and nab the one available position on the newspaper staff at Wexburg Academy.
London Confidential is a new series where British fashion, friendships, and guys collide, and where an all-American girl learns to love life and live out her faith.

Once Upon a Ghost

Romance > Suspense > Ghosts
Author: Day Leclaire
Once Upon a Ghost (Wacky Women Series #1)

Zach Kingston, physics professor and famous ghost debunker, despises con-artists who profit from ghostly scams. And he isn’t about to change his mind just because this scammer’s drop-dead gorgeous and offers the most seductive kisses. Ever.

Rachel Avery is just trying to save her family home. And no nasty, rotten—surprisingly handsome—cynic can change that. If only he weren’t so damn sexy. And if only he didn’t offer the most seductive kisses. Ever.

But they have a deal, witnessed by the media: If Zach can’t scientifically disprove her ghost by Halloween, Rachel wins.

Then Zach meets Rachel’s grandmother and discovers the real reason the Averys are so desperate to sell their story.

Too bad his reputation is on the line…

Likeable Leadership: Stories on Marketing, Your Career, Social Media & More

Business & Investing > Marketing & Sales
Author: Dave Kerpen
Likeable Leadership: A Collection of 65+ Inspirational Stories on Marketing, Your Career, Social Media & More

Likeable Leadership explores the integral traits of what makes a leader likeable, leaving readers motivated to improve their careers and personal lives with Dave’s action items.

The book is a collection of stories and articles in four sections:

1. Leadership and Inspiration
2. Your Career
3. Marketing and Social Media
4. Miscellaneous Musings

Whether you’re a CMO of a Fortune 500 company, an entrepreneur, a recent college grad, or anywhere in between, Dave’s anecdotes will inspire you, help you evaluate yourself and help you to become a better leader inside and outside the office.

Welcome to Paradise

Romance > Contemporary
Author: Rosalind James
Welcome to Paradise (The Kincaids)

They’re going to party like it’s 1885.

Mira Walker is hoping that competing on a “living history” reality show will give her what’s missing from her real life. Maybe she’ll get closer to her boyfriend, who hasn’t been all that nice to her lately. Get fired up about her job again. Who knows, she might even win a million dollars.

Gabe Kincaid and his brother Alec are after that million too, though. Mira and Scott are no threat at all, not when everybody involved is going to want to kill Scott after the first day. And there’s no bond stronger than a twin’s. What could possibly go wrong?

The Army Doctor’s Baby

Romance > Contemporary
Author: Helen Scott Taylor
The Army Doctor's Baby (Romance Novella)

After his wife betrayed him, Major Radley Knight dedicated himself to becoming the best Army doctor he could be, dedicated himself to saving soldiers’ lives. When he returns on leave from Afghanistan he is ready for a break. Instead he finds himself helping a young mother and her newborn baby.

He falls in love with Olivia and her sweet baby boy and longs to spend the rest of his life caring for them. But Olivia and her baby belong to Radley’s brother.

Story Time

Science Fiction & Fantasy
Author: Linell Jeppsen
Story Time

In the not-too-distant future, a young woman bears witness to the end of her world.

Earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions rock the planet, reducing cities to smoking rubble, burying entire islands and coastlines beneath cataclysmic waves.

Religious fervor and human evil erupt and entwine, becoming a maelstrom of madness in the days after, bringing with it the horror of apocalyptic war.

As a population in the depths of despair struggles to overcome insurmountable odds, can a single glimmer of hope flare into a beacon for the survivors?

This is her tale…the world is ours…and now, it’s STORY TIME.

Elisha’s Bones

Action & Adventure > Humor
Author: Don Hoesel
Elisha's Bones (A Jack Hawthorne Adventure Book #1)

Every year, professor of antiquities Jack Hawthorne looks forward to the winter break as a time to hide away from his responsibilities. Even if just for a week or two. But this year, his plans are derailed when he’s offered almost a blank check from a man chasing a rumor.

Billionaire Gordon Reese thinks he knows where the bones of the prophet Elisha are–bones that in the Old Testament brought the dead back to life. A born skeptic, Jack doesn’t think much of the assignment but he could use the money, so he takes the first step on a chase for the legendary bones that will take him to the very ends of the earth. But he’s not alone. Joined with a fiery colleague, Esperanza Habilla, they soon discover clues to a shadowy organization whose long-held secrets have been protected . . . at all costs.

No One Lives Twice

Mystery > Humor
Author: Julie Moffett
No One Lives Twice (A Lexi Carmichael Mystery)

I’m Lexi Carmichael, geek extraordinaire. I spend my days stopping computer hackers at the National Security Agency. My nights? Those I spend avoiding my mother and eating cereal for dinner. Even though I work for a top-secret agency, I’ve never been in an exciting car chase, sipped a stirred (not shaken) martini, or shot a poison dart from an umbrella.

Until today, that is, when two gun-toting thugs popped up in my life and my best friend disappeared. So, I’ve enlisted the help of the Zimmerman twins—the reclusive architects of America’s most sensitive electronic networks—to help me navigate a bewildering maze of leads to find her.

Along the way, my path collides with a sexy government agent and a rich, handsome lawyer, both of whom seem to have the hots for me. Hacking, espionage, sexy spy-men—it’s a geek girl’s dream come true. If it weren’t for those gun-toting thugs…

TODAY’S BARGAINS……………What’s this?

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes (New Edition)

Graphic Novels > Fantasy
Author: Neil Gaiman
Regular Price $19.99, Today $2.99

NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Neil Gaiman’s transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.

In PRELUDES & NOCTURNES, an occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother Dream instead. After his seventy-year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, also known as Morpheus, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. On his arduous journey Morpheus encounters Lucifer, John Constantine, and an all-powerful madman. This book also includes the story “The Sound of Her Wings,” which introduces us to the pragmatic and perky goth girl Death.

Story Engineering

Writing, Research & Publishing Guides
Author: Larry Brooks
Regular Price $17.99, Today $1.99
Story Engineering

What makes a good story or a screenplay great?

The vast majority of writers begin the storytelling process with only a partial understanding where to begin. Some labor their entire lives without ever learning that successful stories are as dependent upon good engineering as they are artistry. But the truth is, unless you are master of the form, function and criteria of successful storytelling, sitting down and pounding out a first draft without planning is an ineffective way to begin.

Story Engineering starts with the criteria and the architecture of storytelling, the engineering and design of a story–and uses it as the basis for narrative. The greatest potential of any story is found in the way six specific aspects of storytelling combine and empower each other on the page. When rendered artfully, they become a sum in excess of their parts.

You’ll learn to wrap your head around the big pictures of storytelling at a professional level through a new approach that shows how to combine these six core competencies which include:

• Four elemental competencies of concept, character, theme, and story structure (plot)
  • Two executional competencies of scene construction and writing voice

The true magic of storytelling happens when these six core competencies work together in perfect harmony. And the best part? Anyone can do it!

Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

Christian Living > Spiritual Growth
Author: Bob Goff
Regular Price $9.99, Today $1.99

As a college student, he spent 16 days in the Pacific Ocean with five guys and a crate of canned meat. As a father, he took his kids on a world tour to eat ice cream with heads of state. He made friends in Uganda, and they liked him so much he became the Ugandan consul. He pursued his wife for three years before she agreed to date him. His grades weren’t good enough to get into law school, so he sat on a bench outside the Dean’s office for seven days until they finally let him enroll.

Bob Goff has become something of a legend, and his friends consider him the world’s best-kept secret. Those same friends have long insisted he write a book. What follows are paradigm shifts, musings, and stories from one of the world’s most delightfully engaging and winsome people. What fuels his impact? Love. But it’s not the kind of love that stops at thoughts and feelings. Bob’s love takes action. Bob believes Love Does.

When Love Does, life gets interesting. Each day turns into a hilarious, whimsical, meaningful chance that makes faith simple and real. Each chapter is a story that forms a book, a life. And this is one life you don’t want to miss.

Light and fun, unique and profound, the lessons drawn from Bob’s life and attitude just might inspire you to be secretly incredible, too.

A Dangerous Talent (An Alix London Mystery)

Mystery > Women Sleuths
Author: Aaron Elkins, Charlotte Elkins
Regular Price $9.99, Today $1.99

Alix London has a promising career as an art consultant, a sumptuous condo in Seattle’s toniest neighborhood, a gorgeous figure, and a presence that exudes Ivy League breeding and old money. She has it all…or does she? Only Alix knows that the image she presents to the world is a carefully constructed mirage that veils an embarrassing truth. A brilliant, once-promising art student, the daughter of a prominent New York art conservator, her world was left in ruins when her father went to prison for art forgery.

Now a Harvard dropout with an emptied bank account, she is languishing in a career that has produced little more than a lucky house-sitting gig. But all of that changes when Alix meets Christine Lemay, a novice art collector with money to burn and a hot tip on a recently discovered painting by American master Georgia O’Keeffe. Chris hires Alix to perform the authentication, an assignment that finally could launch Alix into the big leagues. But soon after her arrival in Santa Fe, she finds herself tangled up in a web of forgery, deceit—and murder.

Rosemary Cottage (The Hope Beach Series)

Christian Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense
Author: Colleen Coble
Regular Price $9.99, Today $1.99

Amy came to Rosemary Cottage to grieve, to heal, maybe even find love. But there’s a deadly undertow of secrets around Hope Island . . .

The charming Rosemary Cottage on the beach offers Amy Lange respite she needs to mourn her brother, Ben. She’s even thinking of moving her midwife practice to the Outer Banks community. It’s always been a refuge for her and her family. She also wants to investigate Ben’s disappearance at sea. Everyone blames a surfing accident, but Amy has reason to wonder.

Coast Guard officer Curtis Ireland has lost a sibling too. His sister, Gina, was run down by a boat, leaving him to raise her infant daughter. If anyone knew who little Raine’s father was, Curtis could lose his beloved niece. Yet he can’t help being drawn to Hope Beach’s new midwife, Amy. He even agrees to help her investigate what happened to both Ben and Gina.

Can two grieving people with secrets find healing on beautiful Hope Island? Or will their quest for truth set them at odds with each other…and with those who will go to any length to keep hidden things hidden?

… See the rest of today’s Editor’s Picks here on page 2

[maxbutton id=”87″]